- About NERC
- Professional Development
- Conferences & Events
|Commissioners' Guide to Monitoring & Oversight|
February 1 - 2
1 Mohegan Sun Blvd.
For commissioners who are brand new, have already taken NAHRO's certification or, for recertification opportunities, then you will want to register for NAHRO’s Commissioners’ Guide to Monitoring & Oversight. This seminar is intended to enhance an agency’s governing body’s members with a deeper understanding of their roles and responsibilities in assuring their agency’s viability and health. This program is appropriate for board chairs and other commissioners, and for executive leaders and staff members.
As a member of an agency board, monitoring to assure the responsible administration of board-approved policies governing programs requires information from both business and social perspectives. This program will address the business elements relative to agency program operations. It provides a survey of typical housing and community development and redevelopment programs to meet community needs.
The program offers a perspective on the importance of commissioners’ involvement in strategic planning, and the benefits of this activity in shaping the future of the agency in meeting the unique needs of their community.
In addition, the financial viability of the agency overall is addressed and linked to operational and program requirements for continued viability.
Post-Assessment and Program Evaluation
Commissioner's Guide To Monitoring & Oversight
1. Enhance the commissioner's understanding of the housing/community development agency as a business that requires regular monitoring, strategic planning and improvement.
2. Facilitate the commissioner's understanding of business elements relative to agency program operations.
3. Provide basic information on a variety of programs that address local community needs.
4. Reinforce the importance and identify key principles of strategic planning and its relationship to sound business and performance-based program operations for housing, redevelopment and community development agencies.
5. Explore the oversight role and responsibilities of commissioners, including challenges and opportunities in the areas of finance, budget approval, program operations, resident customer relations and board-staff boundaries.