(voted on by the NERC/NAHRO Executive Board 4/9/2018)
(taken from National NAHRO)
The mission of the National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials (NAHRO) is to make available resources for its members and others who provide decent, safe, affordable housing and viable communities that enhance the quality of life for all Americans, especially those of low- and moderate-income by:
- Ensuring that housing and community development professionals have the leadership skills, education, information and tools to serve communities in a rapidly changing environment;
- Advocating for appropriate laws, adequate funding levels and responsible public policies that address the needs of the people served; are financially and programmatically viable for our industry; are flexible, reduce regulatory burdens and promote local decision-making;
- Fostering the highest standards of ethical behavior, service, and accountability to ensure the public trust.
NAHRO is committed to help create a nation in which all people have decent, safe and affordable housing and economic opportunity in viable, sustainable communities.
Therefore, each NAHRO individual member or associate, allied individual member, and those certified through one of NAHRO's Credentialing programs, which may include anyone serving as a commissioner, member of any other type of governing and/or policy making body, as well as an organization's executive and operational staff, will adhere to a Code of Professional Conduct that supports this mission, and pledges to:
- Promote the public trust through advocacy for the responsible administration of housing and community development programs.
- Perform governance and work responsibilities with the highest degree of integrity and professionalism, in order to merit the respect of the beneficiaries of the programs, elected officials, and the general public.
- Promote and encourage the highest level of ethics and integrity within the industry.
- Serve the public with dedication, concern, courtesy, and responsiveness.
- Exercise diligence, objectivity, and honesty in executing professional responsibilities.
- Continually strive for personal professional excellence, encourage and support associates in their professional efforts.
- Avoid any activities that conflict with official duties and not accept directly or indirectly any fee, rebate, commission, discount, gratuity, or other benefit, whether monetary or otherwise, for the professional discharge of duties except an authorized established salary, expenses, and benefits.
- Avoid misuse or misrepresentation of any of NAHRO's comprehensive certifications.
- Immediately report known violations of this Code of Professional Conduct to the Chief Executive Officer of NAHRO.
This Code of Professional Conduct has been adopted to promote and maintain the highest standards of personal and professional conduct. Adherence to this Code is required for continued NAHRO individual membership and associate status and/or retention of any comprehensive credential achieved through NAHRO's Professional Development System.